Tuesday, July 17, 2007

WHY DOTH THOU FORSAKE ME, SPEAKEASY?

It’s official – I don’t like SPEAKEASY BREWING’s beer. Though I’m a hometowner through and through, this San Francisco-based craft brewer just hits people in different ways, I reckon. You know that fella CS I was telling you about yesterday, the one who poured me the BROOKLYN LOCAL 1? He and his friend S make Speakeasy beers their “default” choice, as in, “we’re having a barbeque, let’s pick up a 6-pack of Speakeasy”, or “It’s a Monday night, who wants a beer”. You know? Me, I’ve tried pretty much the whole lineup now, and I don’t like them. Let it be said that there’s no accounting for taste, and that one man’s taste buds are another man’s, uh, uh, you get the point. The last link in the chain was this UNTOUCHABLE PALE ALE I had on Sunday night. Did I tell you I didn’t like it? Really “macro” tasting for a pale ale, like something Miller would put out and call “Miller Summer Harvest” or something like that. More malty than hoppy, with little aroma to speak of and a general flatness in taste. Very golden in color, i.e. PALE, not those brilliant oranges you get with beers like THREE FLOYDS ALPHA KING (yeah, I know - unfair!). Why would one bother? Well for me it was to try and disprove my previous lack of enthusiasm for the brewery, but instead it was the final nail in the proverbial critical coffin. 5/10, and that’s just because I’m feelin’ groovy today.

5 comments:

Rick Sellers said...

HA! I just put this in my fridge for a good 'ol fashioned review tonight... I've had the beer before, didn't remember it being bad in any way. Also, these guys make a couple other good beers I think. Glad you're feeling groovy man. Keep up the good work.

Steve said...

Big Daddy, Double Daddy, Untouchable... average beers as far as the micro world goes. I did think the Prohibition (amber) was very good.

Anonymous said...

Jay, I agree. I can't admit to trying every beer in their lineup, but I've probably tried maybe a third of them and had the same impression of each "microbrew".

Speakeasy beers just don't taste like carefully crafted microbrews to me. There's no real flavor or intrique to make me want another. I try to be fair to any brewery I've sampled because I know so many variables can be involved in producing any one bottle of craft beer, but I just can't get anywhere with liking their brews.

I want to like Speakeasy (epecially given the cool painted labeling) but I don't. No offense to the brewery if great beers are their true intentions. If it is, at least they're trying.

P.S. I really like Anderson Valley's Hop Ottin and their new summer beer (can't remember the full name. Cerveza Crema maybe?). Have you tried it? Also, loved your "Miller Summer Harvest" comment. Gave me a good chuckle. Nice to see some fun and humor in your review.

Jay H. said...

I've tried both Hot Oppin' and Cerveza Crema - both are OK to me, both of which I would have again - and both of which are a good step above the Speakeasy lineup. Like you said, I WANT to believe. Their bottles are cool (my 3-year old was stoked - "Dad, that bottle has EYES!"), their story is cool, etc. It's just the beer that lacks.

Anonymous said...

go to their annual party and you will think differently...the beer will be fresh and the vibe will be fantastic...