Friday, May 15, 2009

A MOST EXCELLENT FLEMISH WILD ALE

I’ve spoken highly of Belgium's DE PROEF BROUWERIJ on this site before – even plunked ‘em into my Top 10 Living Brewers list. They’ve earned it. One fairly easy-to-procure beer of theirs that I’d yet to grab for is the DE PROEF REINAERT FLEMISH WILD ALE, available both in 750ml bottles and a simple 11-ounce stubby as well. I just knew it was going to be a good one, I just knew it. REINAERT FLEMISH WILD ALE is – my notes say this – “a total Brett beer”. No, Brett’s not my wild ale-drinking pal, it’s Brettanomyces, the wafting bacteria that gives beers like this their funk. It’s not a long list, but I think it’s pretty much my #1 favorite bacteria.

This beer has a really big smell, and immediately the yeast just leaps into the nostrils, and quite soon thereafter, onto your tongue. The beer itself is golden yellow, and very cloudy. Sour, but really not too much. Imagine DUVEL just kicked up a couple of notches in terms of funkiness, and infused with tangy fruits. Damn. It’s really good. Why did I just buy the ‘lil bottle when I could’ve kept the house party going another twenty minutes or so? 8/10.

1 comment:

Jeff H said...

My brother-in-law bought me a bunch of beers this past Christmas, and this is the remaining one still in my fridge. It's the 750ml, and now I'll make a point to get off my butt and drink it!!