Friday, November 06, 2009

NEW HOLLAND “DRAGON’S MILK”

This is a big beer for those boys & girls who like a little grit in their beverage and don’t mind wincing when they drink. NEW HOLLAND BREWING, of Holland, MI have made appearances on this site twice before, for their RED TULIP ALE (7/10) and the recent review we provided of their BLACK TULIP ALE (6/10). Unfortunately they’re headed in the wrong direction. This DRAGON’S MILK is an oaked stout – at least that’s what it tastes like. It smells like rum, to be honest, and its 8.5% alcohol feels just a little hotter and heavier than that. While there’s some good vanilla flavor in the medium-bodied black tar liquid, there’s also a strong and somewhat gritty aftertaste that is anything but subtle. There’s a certain amount of heroism that needs to be present when taking one of these down your esophagus, and frankly I just wasn’t feeling all that heroic. 5.5/10.

2 comments:

HomeBrewHawk said...

I really liked the Dragon's Milk. I was the opposite of you, I had a bad impression of the other New Holland beers that I have tried before. The Dragon's Milk was like drinking a Heath Bar, lots of toffee and vanilla.

Rational Realist said...

I have a bottle of this in the beer fridge I received via a trade. I was waiting for a good occasion to give open it. Sounds interesting, but I think I'll wait to share it with my beer drinking friend.