Monday, August 10, 2009

NEXT UP FOR UNCOMMON BREWERS: GOLDEN STATE ALE

Last year I enthusiastically downed a can (a can!) of SIAMESE TWIN ALE from Santa Cruz, CA’s UNCOMMON BREWERS, a new alemaker dedicated to breakin’ the brewing rules with a bunch of unorthodox ingredients & brewing techniques. While I wasn’t bowled over by that particular Belgian/Thai, lemongrass/lime beer, I admired their panache and the general cut of their jib. So now they’re back with a couple of new tall boy cans, and this time I got to try their new GOLDEN STATE ALE on draft at San Francisco’s MONK’S KETTLE bar a couple of weeks ago. Here’s how it went down.

GOLDEN STATE ALE is a Belgian-style, spicy ale, brewed with poppy seeds. It has a tangy, thick mouthfeel, but is still square in the Belgian pale playpen. It tastes toasted and grassy, with a little bit of sweet honey to go with the spice. Cream-puff white head and lots of lacing for you lacing freaks. Honestly, it’s like they throttled back a bit on the experimentation a bit here in order to move some product, and I’m happy with the results. Definitely one I’ll be happy to grab at the Circle K or the Quik Stop should it ever arrive there. 7/10.

2 comments:

Rational Realist said...

Sounds kinda like Telegraph's California Ale, which to me is also in the Belgian style.

Derrick Peterman said...

Where did you find this? They don't have this at the Circle K down the street from where I work in San Jose yet, either.