Friday, November 02, 2007

REITERATING THE GREATNESS OF TRAPPISTES ROCHEFORT 8

Sometimes I get too caught up in trying new beers to actually take time to enjoy the ones that blew me away the first & second times I tasted them. It’s probably unforgivable that the bottle of TRAPPISTES ROCHEFORT 8 I enjoyed with dinner two nights ago was my first taste of it in a year, floored as I was with it the first two times I tried it. I believe I proclaimed it “Belgium’s best beer”, as if I’ve tried even 0.5% of them all. Hard to imagine that’s too far off the mark, though. It’s not only “ranked” as a 10/10 on the Hedonist Beer Jive scoreboard, this latest bottle makes me wonder if it isn’t my favorite beer anywhere. (Time to buy another bottle of MOYLAN’S HOPSICKLE to decide). This rich, smooth dark Belgian ale is the foremost example of a “dubbel” that I know of. Wonderful toffee aroma, and it tastes like a really smokey caramel, minus the sweetness you’d expect if there were something that existed called a smokey caramel. If you haven’t tried this, it’s really a flat-out must. 10/10.

No comments: