Monday, November 26, 2007

MY FIRST OLD RASPUTIN

Don’t know why, I just never got around to trying an OLD RASPUTIN Russian Imperial Stout from NORTH COAST BREWING under a couple weeks ago in LA, despite its ubiquity and high profile as one of the hardcore, extreme stouts on the market. It was one of six beers on tap at the “beer hotel” that I stayed at for two nights – the Four Points Sheraton right by the airport – and it was the only one I’d never had before, so reckoned this was as good a time as any to take the plunge. While I recognize OLD RASPUTIN as a finely crafted beer, my six-word take on the thing would be “I don’t quite believe the hype”. We’re talking about a very roasted and perhaps smoky-tasting high-alcohol stout, the one they seem to go crazy for on the Beer Advocate Top 100 list. Old Rasputin has a very hoppy tang that just lasts and lasts and lasts. There are hints of both coffee and of chocolate, and it’s blacker than night, but somehow the whole package doesn’t add up to much more than a good, well-crafted and moderately difficult-to-drink beer. I’m going with 6/10, with the understanding and awareness that many of you have seen the great lord of magic himself within a glass of this beer.

1 comment:

Eric said...

Hi Jay, I'd say to give it one more try "closer to home" and see if you still aren't that into it (I'm a fan myself). Toronado had it on tap last time I was there - ~2 weeks ago now - and The Page has had it, again, on tap, since at least July (although I haven't been there in over a month so it may or maynot still be there).