Thursday, October 22, 2009

OMG OMG BROOKLYN BREWING “BLACK OPS”

Remember when I said that the $20 price point was my do-not-cross line with regard to purchasing beer? Well, it wasn’t a bottle of BROOKLYN BREWING ’s rarely-sighted BLACK OPS that got me over the threshold, but the promise of receiving one in the mail. I executed a big trade recently with a gentleman who shall remain nameless, and he told me it cost him twenty-four sawbucks to procure this one for me; I therefore felt the need to respond in kind, and purchased said gentleman a >$20 bottle of RUSSIAN RIVER TEMPTATION, a beer we just raved about on this here site last week. So that’s it. I’ve done it. I’ve broken the psychological and monetary barrier I said I wouldn’t, all so I could ingest a bottle of BROOKLYN BLACK OPS. Good thing it’s hands-down one of the best beers I’ve ever had.

BROOKLYN BLACK OPS is everything I’d hoped for, one of those beers residing in the upper/upper echelon of greatness that every beer dork like myself is continually hunting for. From the first sip it was obviously to me & Barleypress, whom I shared this with, that this was something special. We were even bragging that this was likely the only bottle within the city limits of San Francisco and its 800,000+ population. Now it's gone (sad face emoticon). BLACK OPS is a bourbon barrel-aged stout, clocking in at 10.7% alcohol. Somehow it’s apparently “re-fermented with champagne yeast” – maybe some of you know what that means. It has basically been refined and crafted to the point that it’s the smoothest, most delicious “imperial” beer I’ve had all year. Incredible thin, luscious mouthfeel – creamy even - with intense flavors of chocolate and roasted coffee. The foamy head on it looks and smells like whipped chocolate mousse. We were both just taken aback by the thing, and drank it with extreme reverence and respect. I suspect that this may be my last jaw-dropping beer of 2009 and therefore of this decade; it’s going to be very, very hard to top this one. 10/10.

5 comments:

Aaron said...

Yes! That post really pumped me up! Glad you dig it as much I do. In fact, I think you might even like it better! But it is for sure a new classic.

Heck, that may have been the only bottle within the SF city limits last night, but I'd guess there's down to maybe only 100 bottles within NYC's limits at the moment.

Luckily, Garrett Oliver assured me it will be made again one day. (Even though he might have just been placating a beer dork that was annoying him.)

Anonymous said...

FYI, a sawbuck is ten bucks. 24 sawbucks for a bottle of beer? Better be liquid gold you're drinking there.

Steve said...

yep, that was pretty much a 10/10 for me and my buddy too.

Anonymous said...

I got to try Black-Ops on a tour of the brewery and fell in love (Garret Oliver thanks for the tasting you are the best).

Got 4 when this batch came out, that was 1/3'rd off what my local store got.
Drank one soon there after it was not as good as my memory said it should be but we agreed it needed cellaring. The remaining three are enjoying life in my beer/wine cellar.
Wondering when to drink the next one.

k-dub said...

I will be enjoying some Black Ops this afternoon at our beer club's weekly presentation. After reading several glowing reviews, I'm pretty stoked; Imperial stouts are quickly becoming one of my favorites when the weather turns cold. Thanks for turning up my anticipation meter.