Monday, October 30, 2006

THE STRAIGHT TRUTH ON CHIMAY CINQ CENTS

CHIMAY is often an American’s first glimpse into artisanal Belgian beer – I know it was mine, probably about 14-15 years ago. When you see Chimay on tap in this country, it’s nearly always “Chimay Red” (a Dubbel), and it’s nearly always wonderful. I’ve been meaning to go deeper into their product line, so I picked up a bottle of CHIMAY CINQ CENTS a while back. That’s also known as “Chimay White”, after the beer’s label. It’s an unpasteurized Belgian Trippel, and it appears to cost a little more than the red version. I’m not sure it’s better, though it was certainly good. I liked the refreshing taste of hops and the amazing fluff/foam head that poured; this is a much lighter, more golden beer than the fruity/dark Chimay red, and really appears to be an entirely different beast. I don’t know, something was missing from this one that kept me from getting totally wired; I found the taste just a little bit left of center in a way that I can’t put my finger on. Further research is probably warranted – for now let’s call it a 6.5/10.

4 comments:

FretlessC said...

further research:
You absolutely must try the Chimay Bleu. It's their Grande Reserve, a "Belgian dark strong ale," and I'm pretty sure it qualifies as a Quadruple. It was, in fact, my first Belgian beer besides Stella, which certainly isn't 'artisanal.' To my tastes, this is by far Chimay's best contribution to the beer world, and probably one of my top ten, right next to Delerium Tremens, which was, coincidentally, my second Belgian artisanal beer. Thanks for the nice reviews of CA beers. I wish I had that kind of access here in Boston!

Thanks,
Charlie

Unknown said...

You're absolutely right. Chimay is the one of the world's best. I prefer the blue cap, but the red cap is a close second.

Neil
Beers of the World

Crocker said...

I don't think they keg anything other than the Cinq Cents.

Anonymous said...

You have no idea how to properly review a beer. Your review told me nothing.