Wednesday, September 06, 2006

THE SUMMER 2006 BEER DORK-OFF

So my wife & kid go out of town for a few days, and I had a few of my closest beer snobs over for a night of drinkin' and ratin'. What could be more fun, right? The goal was to throw down all these 22-oz. bombers that had been chilling in the garage for a few weeks/months, for while I can definitely drink one of those by myself with no problem, and sometimes even do, I don't make a regular habit of it. They are made to share, and share I did. I stocked the fridge with some specialties I'd never sampled before, including a couple of "wild cards" I picked up after spying them for the first time that very evening at my local beer store. Then my pal CM comes over, and he's toting two more outrageous bombers as well. It was a big, big night! Here's how it unfolded, and what the assembled, intermittantly-arriving panel of experts thought about our selections this evening (of course, I will have the last word and final say):

1. MARIN BREWING ELDRIDGE GRADE WHITE KNUCKLE DOUBLE IPA

This has won some awards as of late, I can't remember which, but we were anxious to kick things off with this one. An excellent, biting Double IPA with the requisite hop kick to it yet a smoothness that you yearn for. This was a popular choice, and the night was young (plus CM and I got to finish this one without anyone else horning in).

CM's rating - 8/10
Jay's rating - 8/10

2. RUSSIAN RIVER BREWING's SALVATION

I was a little put off by this Belgian-style Black Ale, perhaps because my hopes had been raised high by the last couple Russian River treats I've tried. Yeasty and alcohol-heavy, it was still high-quality stuff but not the knockout brew their other Black Ale (Rejection) is. CM and CO, who arrived just in time for this one, liked it better than I did.

CO's rating - 7/10
CM's rating - 7/10
Jay's rating - 6/10

3. AFFLIGEM TRIPEL

A real Belgian, this one a delicious Tripel from Broweridj de Smedt. Golden amber color, a delicious dry taste, and citrus flavors that burst out & attacked. I was pretty impressed, and want some more of this one - and I know where to get it (thanks to distributors & importers for bringing it to the US!).

CM's rating - 7.5/10
CO's rating - 8/10
Jay's rating - 8/10

4. ALLAGASH BREWING's ALLAGASH GRAND CRU

I thought this Belgian Strong Pale Ale looked interesting in the store (isn't "grand cru" a champagne term?), and it was. Strong tasting for sure - made by Americans if you can believe it, but Americans who aren't afraid of their beer. Like the Tripel we'd just had, it was citrusy and dry, but with this intense, carbonated taste that I can only call.....tangy. Does that make any sense? Sure, I'd try it again.

CO's rating - 6/10
CM's rating - 6.5/10
Jay's rating - 7/10

5. STONE BREWING's IMPERIAL RUSSIAN STOUT

Beer Advocate, the leading forum of choice for beer dorks, only has this as the third best beer in the entire universe, so we were pretty excited to give it a whirl. A fourth judge had arrived by this point - let's call him CS -- and he was just as pleased with this as the rest of us. We have a winner! I'm not going to tell you I was keeping good notes by this point, as my faculties were slightly undermined, & besides, CS brought over that Tom Snyder Punk & New Wave DVD so ny thoughts were elsewhere. But I loved this beer, enough to give it an 8.5. Another killer from the Escondidans at Stone Brewing. Still low perhaps compared to how highly it was feted by other beer snobs, but I guess I'll just have to try it again.

CS's rating - 8.5/10
CO's rating - declined to state, in bathroom
CM's rating - 8.5/10
Jay's rating - 8.5/10

6. COAST RANGE BREWING's FARMHOUSE STONE FENCE PORTER

No one remembers anything about this beer. Nah, obviously on this "small" an amount of beer there no blackouts among us, it's just that scorekeeping had ended, and beer discussion had ground to a halt. Drinking, not thinking (like Black Flag said), is all I remember. I'll have to give this one a go another time.

Stay tuned for more dork-offs the next time I've got a 100% free house!

No comments: