Tuesday, September 01, 2009

MAUI BREWING "COCONUT PORTER"

You wouldn't think that a Hawaiian brewer could dazzle you with their wares, right? Such are the tentacles of the craft brewing revolution - even a brewer in Maui, maybe the most peaceful and beautiful spot on the planet, is knocking out unique and interesting craft beers. MAUI BREWING COCONUT PORTER has been collecting the hosannas for a while now; I've been wanting to try it. Thanks to Vince, one of several clued-in, beer-lovin' co-workers of mine (Vince is the office champ, though - regularly sucking down imperial stouts, Belgians and Amero-Belgians all over the state), now I can. He awarded me with a can of this yesterday morning during a meeting (!!); I took it home and guzzled it, presently.

MAUI COCONUT PORTER is a mildly sweet, smooth and clean porter. You get very muted nutty and roasted tastes in the finish, so muted that you'll never confuse this with any of the imperial porters/stouts so popular these days. If that delicious sweetness is truly coconut, well then I declare that I am in favor of coconut in my beer. It doesn't taste as present as it does in, say, an Almond Joy bar, and I also wouldn't confuse this with a "dessert beer". Nay, it's just a great American porter, one that I understand & appreciate all the hype around. 8/10.

3 comments:

Vince said...

Glad you enjoyed! The coconut flavor is not overpowering, which is nice. This is one of my favorites easy drinking porters.

Scott-TheBrewClub said...

That sounds like an interesting brew! In a can nonetheless. Doubt I'll see it in Jersey (one can hope) but if I do I'll give it a try!

Jez said...

Wait. You can bring beer into your workplace? Too cool. Actually, I was told by a Security Auditor this week, that my "PROHIBITED" sign had weak language, since BEER is not considered (by a court of law) to be an ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGE. It is, instead, a FERMENTED BEVERAGE, and therefore, doesn't count. I told him I wasn't going to change the sign.